So finally the oncologists show up, the radiation guy and a guy from Med. Onc's office, the one who showed up this morning when I left, who most blatantly fouled Sherri under the terms of my "How Could You Have Not Suspected You Have Cancer" rule.
We had a nice chat, which went, in every detail, as my research indicated it would go.
1. No radiation
2. No immediate chemo
3. Quarterly return visits to the Mayo for CT scans in the first three years
4. Bi-annual return visits following that
5. Recurrence to be dealt with if and when they happen
I asked if these quarterly visits could be done in Cincinnati, and they didn't like that idea very much. Maybe it's because this cat Randolph Marks here at the Mayo is a super-hotshot sarcoma guy who wants things done his way, maybe because they don't trust us after getting so royal botched by our GP, and maybe because they don't have a sarcoma savvy oncologist or imaging setup they like in Cincinnati. . .I can only speculate.
Maybe they don't want the business going somewhere else. Maybe it's because Sherri's tumor was the biggest one they've seen here in a while and they want her as a story. . .who knows. It doesn't matter much though since Sherri comes to MN so frequently, it will hardly present a logistical problem.
Frankly, as awful as this whole experience has been, I have come to love Minnesota and its Minnesoters (if that's not what they're called, I'm pretty sure it's what they should be called). There really does appear to be whole different culture here that I'm enjoying getting used to. I think I'm going to start working on Sherri to let me buy a little lake house or something up here. . .we can go on quarterly "cancer vacations."
Also, as a way of broaching the subject of why we keep getting diagnosed with stupidity for not recognizing Sherri's cancer on our own, I asked (knowing full-well the answer) what symptoms we should be looking for in the future to indicate that one of us has a soft-tissue cancer of some sort. They looked at each other and agreed that there weren't really any.
The radiation guy (who works with our favorite oncologist here) admitted that it's really easy for all of the docs to be smug in hindsight, but if our GP didn't find the mass, there was no real reason that we shouldn't have accepted his incorrect diagnoses. He also said that who made us feel like this was our fault was guilty of inappropriate victim-blaming. . .This made the chemo guy squirm and blush a little.
Get TWO physicals.
BTW, this tumor isn't remotely close to the largest retro peritoneal liposarcoma on record. The largest was: 50x48x45 cm, 103.6 lb. The second largest was 16.5kg, and the third was 15kg. I don't know how deep these rankings go, but as soon as the next poll comes out, I'll let you know where Sherri's checks in. I don't care how high it is as long as we make it to the tournament.
GW
Friday, May 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
It's "Minnesotans," Geoffrey, not "Minnesoters." I'm in Minneapolis at this very minute, and have heard the correct version frequently. But they pronounce it funny. . . you know, like those characters in "Fargo."
So happy that you've had so much good news to share, and thank you for sharing. Even your rants are instructive.
My best to all three of you.
--pse
Geoff, this is wonderful news! And as you mentioned, going to Minnesota four times a year isn't all that bad. Now, if you start saying "uff da!" and eating lefse & lutefisk, we'll know the assimilation is complete.
Hugs all around!
Carla
Geoff, after coming to love Minnesota, maybe you'll be less afraid of the Lutherans if we have to use their space again next bargaining year.
Great to hear the positive medical news!
Debbie
As I'm sure you recall, Geoff, "Minnesoter" is a Dandy Warhols song from a few years back...don't try to slip that one past the goalie (or, as I'm guessing they say up there, the 'tender).
The issue I've really been wanting to weigh in on, though, is the chicken. I mean, forget the classically-trained psychologist angle of it all for a minute and let a guy from a true farming state handle this one (that's Wiscaaahnsin, for all of youse unititiated folks). Anyway, look, the damn thing is simply fun look at--for everyone, I think. It probably doesn't relly matter why, it just is. So you were allowing yourself a tiny degree of stress relief in the form of intermittent glimpses of fun, a concept you had probably basically forgotten about. You just needed a break. All things considered, it's a lot better than sneaking out back for a smoke with the kitchen crew.
Glad to keep hearing that everything is as fab as possible. All our best to all y'all.
Hugs, etc.
Sam
Great news Geoff and Sherri !!! Thanks, I guess, for the updates with all the nasty details. Please, no pictures of the real thing! Regardless of your prior competitors, enter that mass in the State Fair and you’ll win the Blue Ribbon this summer. As for the chicken thing, I think the white dog person came the closest: chickens lay eggs, Sherri got rid of her "egg" and as Peggy said, "And they all lived happily ever after." As your personal mental health care specialist, there's no charge for that one. By the way, any weird dreams or hypnogogic hallucinations to report? Again, great news!!! Ron
Geoffrey
Be careful Sherri will make you go to the lake house in January if you agree to buy a place up there.
The news sound real good I think Sherri wants to go to the Mall of America about four times a year anyway. So keep the the good new coming and good luck
I am so happy to hear the good news!!! It sounds like she is feeling a little better. Docs are jerks. Remember a paper I wrote about their god syndrome? Of course, it wasn't her fault. Docs are always assuming that the patient did something wrong. Most of them do not "listen" when the patient is trying to tell them something is wrong. I'm just glad that everything is getting better. The vacation home sounds like a great idea.
Chasity
Geoff,
You keep talking about the tumor in terms of metric measurments. I thought we had this conversation around the office...I went to an American public school. All I know about the metric system is that those Communists in Canada (a place to which you're dangerously close) use the system to confuse us.
Please use references that I can understand. Sports and beer analogies seem to work best.
bob
Fair enough, Bob.
The largest ever liposarcoma was roughly the size of Willie Shoemaker.
Does that help?
Yes. I understand this analogy. You know, my Mom has a cousin who moved to Minnesota so that he could ice fish...he may have a place that you kids can rent!
bob
Happy Mother's Day Sherri! XOXO Hon
Post a Comment