Lots of you know that I'm a compulsive researcher, but one of the things I've done from the beginning of this process is to refuse to research Sherri's cancer until the doctors check in fully and I have the right parameters for my research.
My very wise brother-in-law, Greg, a cancer survivor himself, validated this instinct, telling me that research before you have all of the facts will just scare you unnecessarily since you might be looking at data for the wrong type of cell, outdated research, or information that looks scary but is simply beyond your understanding.
And holding myself back from the research task, I believe I now understand what dogs with "bark collars" feel like. Part of me wonders if my focus on the comfort chicken has been a way to diffuse my natural impulse to obsess about the issue at hand, thereby becoming so involved in the research that I would be less useful to Sherri.
And though I paraphrase, I think the old Persian saying is, "There is no many more useful than the one with the big white chicken." (Siamak might be able to verify this one).
And still, as Sherri hallucinates in her bed, there's little else for me to do but give her sips of water, scratch itches that her tubified hands cannot reach, and finally research, research, research. . . it doesn't mean I love the chicken any less.
And (the theme of this blog is starting paragraphs with 'and,' something that English teachers so unfairly tell their students to never do (notice the split infinitive (also embedded parentheticals),(perhaps I'm finally losing it)), which I love, love, love to do in my own writing.) as it turns out, good publicly available scholarship on the peritoneal liposarcoma seems almost as rare as the cancer itself.***
When I find good articles, I'll post them. If you're interested go on ahead and cruise to the links, but if it's too scary to look at, don't worry,I won't hold it against you.
Here's the best one I've found so far: Click
GW
***Parse this paragraph, win a prize.
Friday, May 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm not even going to attempt to parse that paragraph, but I will send you to my newest level of geekdom: the web site for the Grammar Girl podcast. Yes, I use my video iPod to brush up on grammar. You don't get much geekier than that.
http://grammar.qdnow.com/
And, on the main topic of this entry, I'm in awe of you resisting the urge to research. I am willing to bet that the search term "liposarcoma" has been googled about a million times by the readers of this blog since we learned that term. You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din...
Thanks for posting this research. I won't read it...too technical for me...but my wife, the family scientist, eats this stuff up. She'll explain all the "big words" to me!
Keep on rockin' on...
Should've known you'd include English challenges on this blog. Do we have to parse it correctly . . . or just take a stab at it? What's the prize--the smaller comfort chicken still in the gift shop patiently awaiting its obsessive liberator?
I think this blog should find its way into publication. I know the Johnnie Mae Berry Library would buy a copy. Things about "my loved one's illness and how I survived it" are very popular.
Thinking of all three of you and wishing you the best.
Debbie
Geoff-
If your in research mode, you may want to find the ordinance/laws related to "squatter(s)" for Wyoming. OK, kidding aside, all is well at the Woolf homestead. Your neighbors have been concerned and supportive.
All Our Love,
David
PS. Henry and Frankie would each like their own chicken.
Here's another good link:
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic856.htm
Note the section near the bottom: Medical/Legal Pitfalls, and also the Prognosis section mentioning the 100% 5-year survival rate. :-)
Post a Comment