This will, undoubtedly, be the longest entry of the blog for a while, but it needs to catch a bunch of people up on the story from the beginning and fill a whole bunch of other people in on gaps due to my inconsistent and otherwise quirky communications over the eight or nine days. So here goes
Monday, 23 April 2007—For those of you who don’t know, Sherri is a Vice-President of Performance Assessment Services at the Minneapolis-based Data Recognition Corporation. As part of her company’s wellness initiative, Sherri arrived at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota for what was scheduled to be a three-day physical examination. The bulk of the first day was made up of fairly ordinary sorts of tests and evaluations and terminated with a face-to-face physical with one of Mayo’s Internists.
During this examination, the physician was puzzled to see that Sherri’s right lung and diaphragm were being pushed out of place for some reason. He was further surprised to find what he described as a “hard mass” near her stomach, which was, of course, not supposed to be there. The doctor told Sherri that she would need to have a CT scan and that the clinic would attempt to work her into the schedule as soon as possible
Tuesday, 24 April 2007—Late in the day, after she had been seen by a variety of specialists, scheduled in the normal course of the physical, Sherri was called to get her CT scan. Very soon after it was completed, she was informed that the scan identified a 25 cm (later revised to 35 cm—with complete dimensions a bit difficult to describe) tumor. Diagnosticians were immediately convinced that the tumor is a very rare form of cancer called a “retroperitoneal liposarcoma.”
Sherri was informed that she would have a surgical consultation the next morning at 10 am. She called me to tell me what was going on, and I called my mother, who, in a little more than four hours arrived from Toledo to take care of Emma. Thanks Mom.
Wednesday, 25 April 2007—I was able to get to Rochester by about 8:15 and accompanied Sherri to her surgical consultation. Here, we saw the actual film of the CT scan and became aware of exactly how horrifying this tumor is. This large mass stretches across the breadth of Sherri’s Torso, pushing some organs out of its way and engulfing others. The surgeon said that the tumor is very large and would make a long and difficult surgery, but that he could remove it if necessary. He explained that while it is possible that such surgery could be completely successful, it is also possible that he would not be able to remove the entire tumor or that in the process or Sherri might lose a kidney, her spleen, and/or part of her stomach in the effort to remove the mass. The surgeon believed that the logical next step was to seek input from Mayo Clinic oncologists on the possibilities of shrinking the tumor prior to surgery through chemotherapy or radiation.
We left terrified and uncertain of the next steps in the process, waiting for the team that would be involved in Sherri’s treatment to take shape.
Later in the day, we were contacted with our schedule. Friday she would have a biopsy, Monday morning would be her evaluation with a medical oncologist and Monday afternoon would be her consultation with a radiation oncologist.
Thursday, 26 April 2007—Nothing scheduled: very excruciating
Friday, 27 April 2007—The clinic scheduled six hours for Sherri’s biopsy figuring for sedation and recovery time. Those of you who know her best will not be surprised to hear that she completed the biopsy in less than three hours since she refused pain medication or sedatives. The nurses involved with this biopsy were impressed and possibly a little bit disturbed by her refusal to wuss-out.
Now the problem of how to kill two an a half days before seeing the oncologists and finding out what was really going on here. . .
Saturday, 28 April 2007—By some bizarre and lucky coincidence, my aunt, Brooke Davis just opened in a hilarious musical comedy in Minneapolis. And in another stroke of luck, my uncle, Barry, was coming to Minneapolis from Tucson (where they live) to visit her. They very generously invited us to Minneapolis to see Brooke’s show, have dinner, and then they put us up in the unbelievably hip Chambers Hotel in downtown Minneapolis. To give you some idea of how cool this place is, in the restaurant of the hotel is a video art installation that we saw in San Francisco MOMA only nine months ago.
Anyway, I’m sure that we were not much fun to have as company for a night out, but Brooke and Barry helped us pass pleasantly what would have otherwise been a completely unbearable Saturday.
A side note: I know that many readers of this blog live in Minneapolis, and I would really not be doing a complete job as a blogger if I didn’t spend a bit of time talking about Brooke’s show. The musical comedy is called Menopause the Musical and is being performed in theater called The Lab, located at 700 1st St. The show focuses on the trials and tribulations of four women from very different backgrounds who share the common struggle with “the change.” The music consists of re-lyric-ed pop, rock, r&b, and soul hits from the last forty or fifty years of popular music. The songs are hilarious, the physical comedy beautifully executed, and all of the actor/singers are terrifically talented. In the pits of despair as we were, the show still managed to wrench multiple laughs out of both Sherri and me, and I would never have thought that possible. Get your tickets here.
Sunday, 28 April 2007—Drive back to Rochester. Nothing scheduled: very, very excruciating
Monday, 29 April 2007—We arrived at our 9:30 medical oncology evaluation to a bit of bad luck. The pathologist’s report on the biopsy had not yet been completed. Because of this, the oncologist who saw us was able to do little more than give us a general understanding of how, in general, liposarcomas are treated and what sort of options are available. However, he was very careful to explain to us that each case is different and needs to be evaluated and handled differently. Frankly, what it came down to was that he was unable to give us any clear understanding of what we had coming until he had the pathology report. The result of this meeting was to leave us, frankly, even more terrified than we were before our meeting with him.
We sulked around Rochester for about an hour and then returned to our hotel room to try to gather our wits. It was at this point that we got our first remotely decent news in a week. The internist who had been working with Sherri from the beginning of this process called to tell us that the results of the biopsy had made it to the oncologist’s office about five minutes after we left.
According to the internist, the tumor was determined to be a well-differentiated tumor, which basically means that while the tumor is very large and prone to local recurrence, it is of relatively low-grade malignancy and less likely to metastasize. (Peggy, did I understand this right?) Because I was at the time too stupid about cancer to understand remotely what the doc was telling me, he had to explain that this was the best possible news we could have hoped to receive. I believe what he said was (and it was actually kind of cute in his Indian accent), “If I had to have a sarcoma, this is the one I would want.”
At 2 pm we met with the radiation oncologist, a particularly impressive man, who agreed that we had good reason to be encouraged by the results of the cytology, but that biopsies aren’t perfect and that we need to be aware that we won’t know for certain what we are dealing with until it is actually removed and a full pathology is completed.
He was also able to clear up a really important question for us: I’m not sure I’m going to be able to explain this well enough so I hope everyone will bear with me. The physicians at the Mayo Clinic are not like the docs I’ve run into anywhere else. For the most part, these people have an aura of confidence, competence, and brilliance that I have not been around before in a medical setting. It’s sort of like if you had scheduled an hour with a golf pro at the club, and when you showed up your teacher turned out to be Nick Faldo or Vijay Singh. Still, whenever they have shown up to talk to us about Sherri’s case, they all seem just a bit more troubled than Sherri or I have been completely comfortable with. Our radiation guy explained it: There are only a few places in the country really well equipped to deal with sarcomas, the Mayo Clinic being one, but even they see very few of these, and frankly, Sherri’s is the biggest one any of them has ever seen. Impressive, huh?
Anyway, he also made the following points:
1. Given that this is a well-differentiated tumor, he found it unlikely that the medical oncologist would be willing to conduct chemotherapy. He believed that since surgery is certainly in Sherri’s future, it would be unwise to risk weakening her health before surgery in the off-chance that chemo would result in some small shrinkage in the tumor.
2. Given the size of the tumor, it presents a variety of problems with regard radiation therapy. First he would not be able to radiate the entire tumor without risking serious damage to organs that are involved. And (this is the bit that I don’t really understand so if any of my expert pals can clear it up, go for it in the comments) if he radiates the tumor before the surgery, and radiation fails to shrink it, he won’t be able to come back and do radiation at a later date if, for example, the surgery is incapable of getting the whole tumor or if they need to do radiation during the surgery. This stuff is really complicated to me, folks, so I’m pretty sure I’m doing a bad job with it, sorry
3. Given points one and two, he believes that the best course of action is to go after the tumor surgically and clean things up with radiation or chemo if necessary, afterwards.
This was a fairly satisfying consult to Sherri who has said repeatedly over the last week, “I just want this thing out of me,” and was never fully satisfied with my belief that we need to hear as many voices checking in on this as possible before we make any rash decision.
Another side note: “I just want this thing out of me”—I believe she said also this repeatedly the week of August 20, 1995 before Emma was born.
Tuesday 1 May 2007—Today I’m writing this really long blog, not sure whether I’ve been the least bit coherent, knowing that I’m going to post it with virtually no proofreading, just to have it up and started and out of my head where it’s been swirling around since the first day Sherri came up with the idea of blogging her cancer experience. And now I’m sort of wondering whether she meant the blog more as therapy for me than for any of you.
In the radiation consultation, it became clear that we were not going to get to surgery this week, and it might not even be next week, but we do, finally, appear to have a plan.
Our next major event is our Thursday 2 pm surgery consult, again with the surgeon we saw that first horrifying Wednesday that now seems very long ago. In that appointment, we hope to nail down a surgery date so we can get to the business of beating this thing. The sooner this is just a story we tell people the better. In case you’re wondering, here’s how I intend to start that story:
“One week, back in 2007, I spent a year in Rochester, Minnesota. . . “
UPDATE 3 May 2007
We met with the surgeon as scheduled today and now have a surgery date of Tuesday, May 8 at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester. We're not sure what time it will be yet, but we will update the blog as we get information.
We will be taking Emma with us, and my parents will be along to keep her insulated, so I hope no one worries about that. The dogs will also be covered thanks To David Roberts.
GW
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
Geoff,
I think your story should start like this: "Once upon a time, my wife Sherri had cancer." And then the last sentence will be, "And Sherri, Emma, and I all lived happily ever after."
With virtual hugs and hopes for the best,
Peggy
Geoff & Sherri,
Bravery and courage you bring with you and together you will soon be celebrating a very successful operation.
I like what Peggy said better; but I wish you to know my heart is with you both today and in the upcoming days.
Sending good energy - clark
Rock on, my friends, rock on.
bob
Goeff
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for a quick and complete recovery.
C. State ITP
Geoff,
Please tell Sherri she is in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for keeping the blog so we can stay up to date on her progress.
Patti Paulett (Xavier classmate)
Hey, buddy, thanks for the updates concerning your crazy ups and downs over the past few weeks. I think Sherri was right, blogging will help you get rid of your pent up cyber rage. By the way, I only found ONE typo in all of your blogging, not bad! Thank God for Moms and dog-sitters, huh? You and Sherri and strong and will kick the hell out of this cancer thing! The rest of the world is there to support you when you need any help. Ron
My prayers are definitely with your family. Although I've only known Sherri for a short time, I know she is a very strong woman, and that you all will get through this...
Love,
Cassie (from class)
[I *thought* I posted a version of this at 7:30 this morning... it must have vanished into the blogosphere somewhere.]
Geoff,
At one point, you say, "I’m not sure I’m going to be able to explain this well enough so I hope everyone will bear with me." You're doing a great job explaining all of this incredible medical terminology. As I was reading, I found myself nodding as you mentioned something I remembered from when we were dealing with Tom's mom's stomach cancer and your description of how radiation can be done is exactly we heard with my dad's prostrate cancer. But, I must admit that I smiled when I read that the blog was Sherri's idea and you were wondering if it was more for you than for us. Oh, what a wise and wondrous woman you married...
Lots of hugs and positive energy,
Carla
Sherri & Geoff:
Pull your strength from all the people who love you and wish you well. Family, friends and those you have not yet met. Take as much as you need for as long as you need it.... there is an endless supply.
Ted
I've got some family in the rad onc biz, so I thought some clarification regarding Geoff's question in "point two" might help some of us laypeople. What it sounds like this basically comes down to is that healthy tissue has a limit to how much aggregate radiation it can tolerate--so if radiation failed to shrink the tumor sufficiently prior to the operation, then the organs involved wouldn't be able to take enough of a post-op dose to "clean up the margins" afterward.
The really, really good news about Sherri being at Mayo for this is that it is perhaps the only facility in the US that can perform "open dose" radiation, which means that the radiation can be administered while the tumor is being taken out during conventional surgery; in other words, no healthy tissue is in the way. Not only does this minimize risk to her skin and internal organs, it also allows for a lot more accuracy.
Insert cute Indian accent here: if you've gotta have cancer, Mayo is definitely the place to be.
All our love and big positive vibe,
Sam & Sarah
Guys,
We all know what an overachiever Sherri is. But did she have to go for the biggest and the rarest? We expect nothing other than for Sherri to prevail. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know of anything we can do.
Am I an official blogger now?
Stacy, Tom and Audrey
Dear Geoff,
Thank you for your heart-felt and eloquent report! Once again we are reminded that life is so fragile and unpredictable. Yet, human beings, with their courage, love, endurance, kindness, ingenuity, and cooperation overcame many obstacles and achieved wonders. This is a set back which I'm sure Sherri will overcome.
My best wishes for Sherri, you, and Emma,
Siamak
Sherri and Geoff,
I think Ted said it best from all of us here in Raleigh...we may not be with you in person but we are definitely with you in spirit! Not a day goes by that I am not thinking of all of you and wishing and willing wellness, peace of mind, joy and happiness back into your lives! You all are missed and loved! Stay positive!
Love,
Debbie
Geoff, Thank you for sharing your story. I have never met either you or Sherri, but I have heard stories from my husband (Bob Jakubovic). I was shocked and saddened by the news of Sherri's diagnosis. Please know that even people who have never met you are pulling for her. My thoughts and prayers go out to your whole family - especially your daughter. Honesty is always best - no matter what the age - you definietly did the right thing in telling her the truth. I feel my words are lacking in the face of such a big fight ahead of you, but I wanted to give you another voice of support and encouragement. Best wishes for a successful surgery and full recovery. Jennifer Jakubovic
Woolf,
My thoughts are with you and Sherri. She sounds like a real tough woman. She has to be to put up with you.:) I hope everything goes well. I will be thinking of her on May 8th. Thank you for the updates.
Nothing but love and positive thoughts for Sherri, Emma, and you.
Chasity
Geoff:
We are thinking of you all and anticipating the best!
Charlene McDaniel
Just want you to know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. We know tomorrow will be your first step on the road to recovery. Stay strong!
Love,
Gina, Randy, Katie, Lindsey and Alex
Hi Geoff,
My family will keep your family in our prayers
I have had Sherri, you, and Emma in mind this past week (and constantly this morning).
Hope the channeled energy from your colleagues and friends is arriving.
P.
Hi Geoff, Sherri, and Emma,
We are thinking of you today more than ever, and seding Sherri positive and strong vibrations.
Cathy, Annette and I were chating a while ago and we think that the title of your story should be "When we got that thing out."
Tomorrow wil be a great day: the thing will be out and Sherri will be recovering just fine.
Tchau amigo,
Angela
We all hope the pain will soon be nothing more than a faint reminder of a detour along lifes road. I have always been a firm believer that things happen for a reason (even if you can't figure out what the reason is). Stay strong - we are always pulling for you all ways.
Ted, Debbie and Kristen
On May 10, you presented with some self-described issues regarding your colons. Careful examination of a hard copy of your blogspot does demonstrate some suspicious activity, as indicated by a high white-out count.
A this point, we recommend simply "watching it," but if symptoms persist through today's blogs, we would recommend a routine colonoscopy to determine the extent of the problem.
If the colons are revealed to be too pervasive, we would recommend excision, so that they don't spread to become a hard mess known as a plethora, which would require more aggressive redaction.
Fortunately, advanced grammatical technology allows for this procedure to be done laptoproscopically, thus easing the period of convalescence.
There would be a need for brief post-operative rehabilitation, to combat the tendency to develop a syndrome called emotoconus gravus, which, while not particularly dangerous, is annoying to you and others around you. You would not need the Mayo Clinic for rehab, but could work right here with the CS Writhing Sinner in between your classes.
You should be commended as a good writing-health-care consumer. So many people wait too long before consulting their grammar doctor.
Sincerely,
Jack Stone
Grammaticus Grammaticarum
Post a Comment