I hope you'll all take it as good news that I haven't been posting (remember what I said about the hubris discomfort?) but here's a little mini-update:
Things were clipping along just fine until Monday (Memorial Day) when I uttered the stupidest words ever: "I'm just so glad this has gone so smoothly with no complications."
By Monday night, Sherri was having pain in her back and chest, and by Wed. morning it was bad enough to take her to the ER at Jewish Hospital.We spent almost seven hours at the hospital to find that she has developed a pleural effusion, which is basically fluid in the lining of her lungs.
Since so many I've told this have already asked, let me answer in advance: Yes they gave her one of those lung exerciser thingies. But she still managed to develop this.
I would suggest that her pain was not managed as well as it could which made it difficult to get the full inflation of the lungs necessary to avoid this problem post op.
While this can be surgically drained--They basically stick a needle into the lung, collapsing it and then suck out the fluid--the docs are hoping that the fluid will be naturally reabsorbed and go away on its own. We have a surgical consult on Tuesday with a thoracic surgeon who will help us re-evaluate then.
For now she's in excruciating pain and not sleeping very well, but I have hope for this thing's clearing up.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment