Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Good News from The Surgeon

Sherri's out of surgery and should be back in the room in about an hour and a half.

The surgeon believes he got the entire tumor, but is being a little cautious, saying that there's no telling whether a cell or two was left behind and that it'll be up to the patholgists and oncologists to determine whether it made any headway into the liver or lungs.

In order to get the turmor out cleanly and stand Sherri the smallest chance of recurrence, he was, however, forced to take her left kidney. Still, people live long healthy lives with one kidney and I expect Sherri to do just that. It will unfortunately mean a premature end to what Sherri hoped would be a successful semi-pro kickboxing career. . .but I hope you all will let me break that news to her.

The surgeon described the tumor as a bit larger than a basketball and about 15 pounds. Yikes!

More soon,
GW

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! I'm guessing the tumor doesn't bounce, though, right?

Keep On!

Anonymous said...

Geoff, that is certainly encouraging news. You're getting all kinds of support from Cincinnati State folks.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Yeah!!! Yeah!
This is great news! I have been sitting faithfully by the computer watching for updates!!! FANTASTIC!
My love to all of you! Give Sherri a big hug for me when you can!
Love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the great news!
Chasity's right, our class misses you but you'll be glad to know we are coming to class prepared just as if you were there to ask those difficult and thought-provoking questions. Bob's doing a great job keeping us on track.
Wishing only the best recovery for Sherri, sounds like she's ready to handle it! Keep sending the good news.

Jessica

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. The kidneys are the most overrated of organs anyways. I'm a liver man myself. Keep the good news comin!

Adam

Anonymous said...

Righteous!!!
Chasity

Anonymous said...

15 lbs.!!!!, what was Emma, like 7 or 8? Did you name it? You wasted your boy name "Henry" on that dog, so you better start thinking of another. I'll cross Sherri off my "people to ask for a kidney" list, but that only puts added pressure on you other 5 brothers and sisters! After just learning of her secret passion for kickboxing, I'll cross her off my "people to borrow money from" list as well.

Love,
Greg

Anonymous said...

Excellent! We are thrilled that the news is so positive. Can't wait to have you back home.

Mary 'n Greg

Jen Emerson said...

I can sense your relief and happiness, and that, in turn, makes me happy.

Thanks for doing such a good job of keeping us all up to speed.

Been thinking of you guys all day.

Jen

PS- Is Sherri a chocoholic? I hear a good bar of chocolate can help even the biggest of boo-boos. You may want to investigate.

O.J. said...

Geoff,
Sounds good so far. Keep the chin up and your great outlook. Our prayers are with you and Sherri.
Even I have been praying for her every morning.


O.J. and Karen McLaughlin

Anonymous said...

Geoff---
Thanks for the updates and the great news. I've been checking the blog more than my email today! That Honors Novel bunch is certainly an interesting group (the good kind of interesting, not the creepy kind). They have a great deal to say. Too bad they won't be able to get a word in edgewise when we discuss Vonnegut!

bob

Anonymous said...

tdI have heard of some radical diets before, but this is the craziest way I have heard of to lose 15 pounds. I can't tell you how HAPPY we were to hear the news earlier today. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Love,
Tom, Stacy and Audrey

Anonymous said...

great news