Thursday, May 10, 2007

About This Chicken

But first the important stuff:

Sherri was walked twice today followed by short sessions of chair-sitting. The walks were only out of her room and one door down, but it's something. . .the sitting lasted about 30 minutes each session. Needless to say the violent movement out of bed and back in bed were less fun for her than,  well, let's say anything else she's ever done. But many people are telling me that no matter how awful this is for her, it's super important for her to be moving around, so I'm trusting them. Now we've just heard that they're going to get her out again. . .not loving that idea.

My current gripe is that we have not yet seen an oncologist or heard from the pathologist about the makeup of her tumor or next steps. Since they said it would be at least 24 hours until we heard something, I gave everybody the benefit of the doubt until this morning. After all, the thing was ginormous (hmm never had to spell that one before), and so maybe it'll take super-extra-long to analyze, and it's rare, so maybe there's some special pathologist that they're waiting for to do the thing, but the uncertainty is a little off-pissing, and I wish someone would just communicate with me about the holdup. And yes, Jack, I've shaken every tree I can think of around here for an answer.

Apparently my temper tantrums are not yet legendary enough to have made it this far west. . .

Since some of the blog readers are psychologists, professional or amateur, maybe someone here can help me with this chicken thing.

I first saw this guy (gal? Terry B. would know) when I needed a power walk around the hospital and ended up in the gift shop, and for some reason it just made me smile. . .here I am standing before a display of multi-media farm animals grinning at this thing like a four-year-old. The craziest part is that there were other chickens on display, but this was the only one that had any sort of effect on me. In fact, there was a smaller version of this bird that looked identical other than in size, and provoked absolutely no response.

So for the last three days, on every trip I've made to the main floor (and this happens a lot because Sherri regularly kicks me out of the room when something too embarrassing or too painful is about to happen to her), I've stopped in to peek at this bird for a little or a long while, and she never seems to get less funny for me.

Today when Sherri was first booted out of bed for the walk/sit cancer biathalon, I, of course, headed down to the gift shop, but on the way, I broke into a hot sweat as this thought went through my mind: "What if someone bought the chicken." Stupid, I know. . .I mean, who on Earth would buy this stupid chicken. . .but I didn't care. I couldn't wait for the elevator and sprinted down five flights of stairs in a panic and burst into the gift shop. It probably looked like I was about to annouce VJ day or something.

And there it was. My chicken was still there. . .which is when I realized that over the course of three days and a dozen or so visits, I had started to think of it as 'my' chicken, and unwilling to risk having someone else take the bird away, I shelled out what every one of you would certainly consider a stupid amount of money for an object composed of a carved Styrofoam block, a bit of papier mache, some paint, some cardboard, and feathers.

Sherri is far too gorked out to understand what the chicken is and why it's here, let alone to consider it just another one of my quirks, but I'm guessing even when she's all compus mentis, I still won't be able to explain it to her.

Truly yours,
Farmer GW



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am sooo glad you bought that chicken! I can't imagine what it means (it doesn't add up in Excel), and I have no idea what you are going to do with it. However, please do not serve it as dinner. Love to all and always thinking of you, Marc

Jen Emerson said...

I am in tears, I am laughing so hard.

Let me try to analyze. You were attracted to, and bought, a chicken because it depicts the deepest inner feelings you have about your current situation? That, deep down, you are a "chicken?" Or a "bird brain?" Nah, that's doubtful.

Perhaps its more proof that you're a big ol' softy, just like I've always said.

I guess I shouldn't be worrying about this, I'm not a psychologist. I'll let Dr. Craig take care of that. Perhaps I should be more concerned with finding a way to deduct the cost of this ridiculously-priced bird off of your '07 taxes? How about office supplies? (Oh, sorry, that's an accountant joke. You wouldn't understand.)

Jen

PS - I think it is UNBELIEVEABLY cute!

Anonymous said...

No question. . .It's the Jewish mother in you!

The chicken (and a lovely one it is!) is symbolic of your overwhelming, genetic need to be feeding Sherri Chicken soup at a time when it is just not possible!

Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

That chicken will look tres chic with all of your modern furnishings. Love to all.
-Maria Schneider

Anonymous said...

No doubt, TB will be able to explain the siren song of The Chicken. But if not, Johnny will...after all, his dad's a doctor.

Jen Emerson said...

And another thing...

I know your obsessive tendencies.

Does this mean you are going to start collecting chickens? Or, better yet, raising them?

Make sure you check with Sherri, first. I know she's dealt with a lot of your obsessions over the years.

V said...

I think everyone agrees that this chicken is not only adorable, but also great art.

Unknown said...

Well, boy-o, I'm stoked to hear that the surgery seems to have gone well. My dad went through a pretty similar rollercoaster in Feb.--"Hey, you've got cancer. Let's excise it and see how it goes." He bounced back from the surgery like a basketball and started chemo 6 wks. later. I certainly hope they say Sherri won't need chemo or radiation at all, but the first step is over, and that's always a releif, even if it's relative, right?

As for your chicken, I dunno Sgt. Bat Guano, but your "It probably looked like I was about to annouce VJ day or something" got me laughing out loud. Not that such a thing is particularly hard, but still.

Sending yes-beams your way from good ol Main 232.

-Dave

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

First of all, I think that ANYTHING that can make you smile in the midst of all this is definitely worth buying, no matter what the cost!

Now, to analyze WHY it was a CHICKEN (instead of a Mustang, or a puppy, or hooker...)

Maybe the whiteness of the chicken (which is a girl, because all chickens are girls) represents the purity of Sherri's body now that the cancer has been removed.

The feathers are wings which represent the wings of the angels that watched over S. during the surgery.

The frivolity of the design is indicative of the joy and playfulness that are ahead for your family.

Lastly, at a time when everything was horrible and scary and dark, the chicken was exactly the opposite of all those things!

That will be $90. (this reflects the 20% discount given to all those who attended last summer's wedding at the Resort.)

- Dr. Fuzzy WhiteDogs

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the chicken and congratulations for adopting it! Laughter is absolutly the best medicine. I am so glad to hear they have her up walking...very important and a sign of good things to come. Keep complaining, the squeeky wheel is the only one that gets fixed in health care and screeching is often needed. I will continue praying positive thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure that I am comfortable with knowing exactly what is going on in your head as it relates to your strange obsessions and oddities. Don’t worry about explaining the chicken to Sherri. She probably thinks it is some type of hallucination from the meds.

Stacy

Anonymous said...

Geoff, we have 3 live ones you can visit in our back yard if you find virtual reality not enough!

Dave and the Chalmers crew

Anonymous said...

I love the chicken! I laughed immediately when I saw it . . . your story is even funnier. I was laughing so hard picturing you running down the stairs to check on your chicken.
Maybe you miss your pets at home and felt the need for one at the hospital. I dunno, for me this just confirms my very first and long-lasting impression of you: You're crazy. :D
Please tell Sherri to not believe the confusion is a drug side effect--we are all just as confused.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Good to hear all is well up to this point and I hope everything continues to get better.

I had a similar "chicken" situation but mine involved a pig. I too shelled out a ridiculous amount- I'll show it to you next time we're out.

Well, good luck, and if you need anything, call me.

Tony

PS- Fact: Once upon a time at the VA, you could watch Friends 24 hours a day.